Prot. 613/GenSec2018 (3-b-10/CBCI-GC) 9th May, 2018
It has been brought to our notice by many people that a very malicious fake letter is being circulated in the social media and in Karnataka on the eve of the elections.
The purported fake letter is falsely attributed to Cardinal Oswald Gracias and as having been written by him to Archbishop Bernard Moras of Bangalore. The false letter makes wild allegations about the Church involvement in the Lingayat issue.
In this regard we wish to state:
1. We can assure you that this is a fake and malafide letter.
2. It will be noticed that the letter is not written on a letterhead.
3. The letter carries no signature.
4. The Catholic Bishops' Conference of India nor Cardinal Gracias will never ever
indulge in divisive tactics as indicated in that letter.
5. The language mistakes in that letter point out that it could not have originated from our Office.
6. Cardinal Oswald Gracias is the President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India. He is not the Secretary General of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India, as alleged by those who are circulating the letter.
The circulation of this letter just before the Karnataka elections is a disgraceful mischievous ploy. We reserve the right to take legal action against those involved in making and promoting that letter.
We request our well-wishers to respond to the letter if it comes to them with this official clarification.
May God bless Karnataka and May God bless our beloved Country, India.
Bishop Theodore Mascarenhas, SFX
Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India